Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

My 3 year old and modesty

I didn't think a modesty talk would come so soon between Eden and I. (she is only 3 1/2) I thought that talk would come later on in her little life. Well, it happened when she came in the room with one of her dress up dresses falling off her shoulders. She is a small girl so I just pulled them up like I usually do until she protested and told me no that it was her "Belle dress" and it was suppose to be like that. She then pulls them back off her shoulders and pulls the front down making it lower. It took me off guard for a moment and then I put it together and could see Belle from Beauty and Beast in her flowing, yellow, off-the-shoulder, low-cut dress dancing with the Beast. I didn't know what to say at first. I sat down with her and talked about what is right for girls to wear and how we are to dress modestly. (and attempted to define that word for her) I reminded her that mommy doesn't wear her clothes like that and how some parts of our bodies are not meant for other people to see. Hopefully, it doesn't sound like I am making a bigger deal about this than I should, but I just saw it as a great teaching time for my little girl and myself. I learned a few things from it. 1. For more than just this reason, but it's a big one, I need to watch and be so careful about the clothes that I wear. How much time I spend in the mirror doing my hair and make-up because I have 2 sweet little eyes that are watching me ALL the time. 2. Don't be too busy to stop for teaching moments. 3. What she watches and reads effects her thinking and world-view. Don and I talked briefly if we should continue to let her watch that movie and we concluded that we thought it was still fine for her to watch, but that we needed to be more aware of those type of messages and images in movies. We don't believe in hiding everything from our children, but at the same time we are called to guard them and teach them along the way. Thankfully, after that talk she hasn't tried to make her dresses into "Belle dresses" anymore. That is another post if she does. Oh the joys of raising a little girl!


She loves her accessories!

1 comment:

  1. We've had to talk to our boys about modesty too. The other day they saw a picture of Wonder Woman, who is pretty scantily clad and asked "Why is that lady so naked?" So the little boys this age are noticing too!

    ReplyDelete