Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

I don't want to be poor...

I have always thought that The Beatitudes were a beautiful and very encouraging part of Scripture. A few days ago, they came up in my time with the Lord and I was struck so differently by them. I found myself saying no, I don't want these things. Here is the text for reminding....
"And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said:

'Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you shall be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh. Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man! Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets.'"- Luke 6:20-23

I don't want to be poor. I don't want to be hungry. I don't want to weep and I surly don't want people to hate and exclude me. All day long my flesh and the world tells me that I should live a happy, fully satisfied life with love from everyone. Don't get me wrong the Lord does want wonderful things for His children, more than we can ever imagine, but more than that He wants to give us things of lasting value. He wants us to gain and long for Kingdom treasure. I still view the Beatitudes as a beautiful part of Scripture, but I see it now as much more challenging. I am challenged to strive more for the things that will last and things that the Lord finds valuable. Oh Lord, flood my mind and spirit with things that please You!

No comments:

Post a Comment