Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Hospitality part 2

So, I have realized if I am going to do this whole blog thing I have to do it early in the morning. Otherwise, I am just rushed and cannot get my thoughts together. I think being a mother forces you to be a morning person... well, at least for me. I love the quietness of the house. Anyway, I wanted to add a few things about hospitality.

First, hospitality is not having a perfectly cooked meal, a spotless house, a beautifully set table and children that don't make a sound. If that is it then I have failed. Hospitality is welcoming people in your home, your life and making them feel at ease and loved. It is also engaging with them and letting them know that you care about what is going on in their lives and you want to share a meal together to grow in community. As I mentioned earlier Romans 12:13 reminds us the importance of hospitality, "Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality." When we show hospitality we should be aiming to meet the needs of those around us and show them the love of Christ. Seek to show hospitality it is an active thing. Typically, something you typically have to plan to do. Here are just a few tips:

Practical tips:
  • My husband and I plan each month together. At the end of one month we will look to the next and see what we want that month to look like. It includes a lot of different things, from family nights, to date nights, but one part of it is deciding who we want to have over that month. We try to have at least two families over per month. Sometimes it's just one, but we aim for two. We have found if we do not plan then it doesn't happen. The week gets busy and schedules get full.
  • Then I usually set up the time with the other wife if we are having a couple over. Sometimes my husband will, but normally it is me.
  • Like I mentioned before Don and I love to cook, so a lot of times we will plan the menu together, but sometimes I just do it.
  • If cooking is not your "thing" do not let that stop you from having guests. Do something simple like a sandwich bar followed by an ice cream bar. You can be so creative and cute with those simple and no cooking needed menu items.
  • Again, the point of hospitality is not the food, but loving and welcoming people into your home.
  • If I do not know the people super well Don and I will briefly discuss what we should talk about. I probably think on it more than my husband. I just enjoy it when conversation flows.
  • Let your children be involved. Of course this depends on their age. And to be honest this is something I want to grow in. Let them set the table. Help stir. Anything to involve them. If other children are coming over we talk to Eden about playing with them and inviting them to come see her room.
  • Don't worry too much about your house looking perfect. People really don't notice if you have scrubbed your floors or not. Or if you have dusted the top of the bookshelf. I do believe your house should be in order and not a mess, but don't think you have to have it spotless. That is too stressful.
I recently read an awesome book about hospitality that is full of so much wisdom and very practical advice. I highly recommend it. It's called Practicing Hospitality: The Joy of Serving Others by Pat Ennis and Lisa Tatlock.

So, I encourage you to invite someone over. Enjoy fellowship. Show the love of Christ to others.

1 comment:

  1. Hospitality is definitely something I need to grow in!
    I always get stressed out at the idea of people coming over, and feel like everything has to be perfect. Thanks for setting me straight- it isn't about the food, or how clean the house is. It is about loving and welcoming people into my home.
    You and Don are definitely a great picture of that; I always feel welcome and loved when we come over. :)

    ReplyDelete